Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Robber named: Comparison

I'm finally back after taking a break for family vacation and Christmas.  I intended to post a few times during the last month, but it never happened.  Real life is beginning again, so back to blogging.

When it comes to raising children, it is so easy to compare your family to another family.  This is something that I know is wrong to do and not a good idea to do, but it's something I still do often. (Why is it that we do this as women?)  It becomes especially hard when it's someone close to you.

This is what I'm struggling with right now.  Comparison.  It's stealing my joy, but I'm determined to not let it.  Let me explain.

We have chosen to homeschool our children.  It's a decision we've come to after prayer and discussion, and I know it's the right decision for our family.  I love all of the flexibility that comes with homeschooling and the freedom we have, most of the time.  But, I am with my children all day, every day.  There is the occasional class or lesson that gives me a little down time from having all 4 children, but that's not too often.

I sometimes get jealous of the people who send their children to school.  I daydream about how much I could accomplish and how nice my home would look if I had time to really clean it.  I "compare" my family with those whose children are in school and I get jealous of the "free" time they have.  Sometimes, I even get judgmental. Gasp!  I think about how their children would be better off being home vs. being in school.  And I realize how ridiculous I am!  Double Gasp!  Then I sit and sort my thoughts out and pray and realize I am right where God wants me with our family...and I really am happy.

So, all that to say...comparison is a joy robber.

No comments:

Post a Comment